Sunday, March 4, 2012

Second Chance: Kuroge wagyu (Japanese black beef) chokotto beef curry from Sanda-ya Souhonke

This time with the correct amount of properly cooked rice!
Category: Store Bought (From Japan)
Flavor:  6 out of 10
Spice: 1 out of 10


The other night I got home from work kind of late and I wasn't very hungry. I did want to have a little something for dinner though, and I didn't feel like cooking.  There were not many choices and so I realized it was the perfect time to give the chokotto curry a second chance!  I had a little bit of rice made (properly this time) from the other day so I heated it up, put the curry into some boiling water, and 5 minutes later I was tasting kuroge wagyu (Japanese black beef) chokotto beef curry for the second time - but trying to keep an open mind as if it was my first time. 

My initial reaction was "Mmmmm, this is quite nice". A very different reaction, but this time I was eating this curry under the proper conditions.  I wasn't very hungry and only wanted a small portion and this time it turned out it was the perfect amount.  
There still wasn't a lot of beef, but it seemed like a little more. Rather, the beef was cut into smaller pieces, so while it may have been the same amount I felt less cheated. I would have liked more meat and more vegetables, but it wasn't such a big deal since I wasn't very hungry.  This time everything just seemed acceptable.  It still had absolutely no spice to it but the flavor was nice.  
I think this is great for when you want a small meal, don't want to put any effort into it, and don't really care for something really delicious.  Last time I used a scale of 1-5, but I've been using 1-10 in later reviews so this time it gets a 6 out of 10.  An upgrade from the previous review, but still not among the kings of curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment