Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sushi King - Rio Rancho, NM

Website: Sushi King
For some reason they don't list the location that I went to on their website.


Good spice, ok flavor


Spice:  7 out of 10
Overall:  5 out of 10


The other day I found myself at a Japanese restaurant with some co-workers here in Albuquerque. I had pretty much given up on finding any good Japanese food here, but I was told that they had been here before and that it was good.  I can't judge the entire restaurant because I only had the curry, but I'll say that it probably is the best Japanese restaurant in Albuquerque. However, the bar here is set pretty low.  It actually is run (I think) by Japanese people unlike the other restaurants I've been to here which are run by Koreans and have a lot of Korean food on the menu. Not that there's anything wrong with Korean food, but if you're calling yourself "Sushi Ichiban" I expect yakisoba not bibimbap.  I was surprised to find curry on the menu and thought "It must be a good sign". I had to try the curry.

On the menu it didn't say anything about spice and the waiter didn't ask me if I wanted it mild, medium, or hot so I immediately asked about it. That should have been the first clue that I wasn't about to be blown away. He asked how I wanted it because they could make it as spicy as I wanted. I told him I wanted a lot of kick to it, but not to the point where I start sweating like crazy (I was with co-workers afterall).  I have to say, they got the spice level PERFECT.

The rest of the curry, sadly, was not up to this same standard. For one, it was watery. You can even tell how watery it was from the picture. The beef was well cooked, but it could have used a bit more spice - any spice - when it was cooked.  I also would have liked a little more vegetables to be thrown into the curry, but it was an ok amount.  Overall the curry itself had a decent taste. The disappointment was more that it was so close to being good, but it was just too watery.  I could overlook everything else if the curry had been thicker, and maybe it was just an 'off' day.  I doubt I'll try it again though as I'd prefer to just make my own.

If you live in Albuquerque and want to eat curry in a restaurant then this is probably the place to go. If you want a good curry that doesn't fall short, just make it at home.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I hate when a restaurant's cuisine is not clear because the owners insist on including their "personal touch". If you've got a sushi restaurant, make the best sushi you can and get creative with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, brother!
    i'm sorry for you didnt get a good curry at the best japanese restaurant in albuquerque.......hey! but dont worry!
    i will bring lots of good japanese curry with me from japan, when i visit california in this April :) !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete