Monday, March 12, 2012

Currysan's Spicy Surf n Turf Curry recipe



My spicy surf n turf curry




Spice: 8 out of 10 
Rating: 9 out of 10



Another day, another curry!  I've been eating a lot of beef curry lately so I decided that I wanted something different for the protein in this newest batch of curry.  I thought "I never use tofu, should I try now?" No. Chicken? Sounds great! Shrimp? This also sounds great! 

So the question is how do you choose between the shrimp and chicken when they both sound good?  The answer was simple, I don't have to choose - it's time to make a surf n turf curry!  I decided that not only would this be tasty, but it'll be fun to make a themed curry every now and then.  This is my first one, but I'm sure I'll think of others in the future.  Does anyone out there have an idea for a themed curry to try?

This curry was great!  I think this may be one of the best I've ever made.  The spice level was really good although I was trying to go a tiny bit spicier than it came out. This was the kind of spice that builds as you eat more. It didn't burn the tongue but I found that as I ate more my body temperature began to rise, I started to sweat a little, and the back of my throat started to feel it. I was generous with the cajun spice blend and I'm glad I was!  Plus, I think mixing the hot versions of curry from two companies made a really nice blend of spicy flavors.  
I was loving this curry from the first bite. It had spice, it had a ton of flavor, and it was great getting both chicken and shrimp to taste. I found that the best bites had both a piece of chicken AND a shrimp in the spoon. It was amazing and a really nice combination. The only thing that might have made this even more incredible would be to have it all fried as I love katsu curry!
I think it's time to make some curry only using one brand of curry to really get a feel for the flavor of each one. This will help me eventually make the ultimate curry! You need to know your ingredients, so I need to get back to basics.

If you want a great protein-full curry, this is it! I definitely recommend this over the previous recipe I posted. I'll be making a curry like this again for sure!
  

Ingredients
2 yellow onions
2 large carrots
1 red bell pepper
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1 lb cooked shrimp
1 lb chicken breast cubed
2 cups chicken broth
8 fingerling potatoes
1 cut sweet peas
2 Tbsp ketchup
Urban Accents cajun spice burger blend to taste
Golden Curry Hot
Java Curry Hot




This makes a very large amount of curry - I froze half of it for later and happily ate it for dinner for a few days. 

How I cooked it

First I prepared all of the vegetables and meat.  Then I cooked the onions, chicken, and potatoes in the pot and sprinkled on the cajun burger blend to taste.  I was generous with this blend so that the chicken and potatoes would have some spiciness regardless of whether it was in a curry or not. Then, once the onions were browned I added 2 cups of chicken broth, 3.5 cups of water, the carrots, pepper, and sweet peas. I brought it to a boil and then lowered the heat to medium and let it cook for 20 minutes. 


Then I ran out of time as I was meeting people to see a movie.  So I left the half-cooked curry covered on the stove for 4.5 hours while I went to the movie and then dinner with coworkers. When I got back I reheated the food and added the curry stock, ketchup, and shrimp and let it cook on low heat for another 20 minutes.  

As I had already had dinner I wasn't hungry but I had to at least try a bite - it was great! Since I wasn't going to be eating I just left it covered on the stove until I left for work the next morning.  When I was at work I left it in the pot inside the fridge and I reheated it on the stove for one of the better curry dinners I've had the pleasure of eating.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment