Thursday, April 19, 2012

Light and Healthy Mirai - Albuquerque, NM

Facebook: Light and Healthy Mirai
This restaurant does not have a website, but they do have a facebook page.




This is a terrible excuse for curry





Spice:  4 out of 10
Overall:  2 out of 10


It was a late night at work which means we get dinner on the company.  We usually get it from local restaurants since there are not always enough people to justify full blown catering.  On one such night we ordered from "Light and Healthy Mirai" which I think is a weird name for a restaurant.  Name aside, I've mentioned before that all of the Asian cuisine in Albuquerque, NM leaves much to be desired. I've eaten from this place before, but I usually try to get dishes that are hard to mess up like karaage, or teriyaki.

I had a feeling the curry from here was not going to be great, possibly not very good, but since I wasn't paying for it I decided to take a gamble.  I ordered the chicken curry and was immediately disappointed when I opened the styrofoam container pictured you see above. Maybe I should have ordered the katsu curry - at least it would be fried which makes everything taste better.

The presentation was horrible, but I'll let that slide since it's take-out. There was a disturbing lack of smell. I always make fun of CoCo Ichibanya because of their slogan "Good smell, good curry" but it's true! All of the best curries smell great which gets you excited before you even start to eat.

I don't know if it shows in the picture but this curry was so thin.  I mixed it with the rice and instead of a nice coating, it sort of just rolled off the rice and down to the bottom of the container.  This was more like a stew with rice mixed in than curry on top of rice.  At this point I had no hope of a delicious curry dinner - oh well.

Once I tried it I confirmed everything I thought. This was terrible. I didn't even finish it because it just wasn't good enough to satisfy me. I had about half and tossed the rest out.   It was bland, watery, and lacked almost any vegetables except for a small amount of carrots and potatoes which were overcooked. The only thing that prevented this from a rating of 1 was that nothing in the curry was offensive. It was not gross, but it also was not good.

The best thing about this curry is that I only paid for it with my time.  Again, if you're in Albuquerque, NM and want Japanese Curry - make it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment